2011, A year in the life of a Retiree
The year is wrapping up and so I am recalling, reminiscing about my first year of retirement.
Special Interests
The past year, I learned new things, made new friends and traveled to new destinations. When I was not engaged in any of the above, I was helping care for my grandchildren. My sixth grandchild was born in November. It is a joy and a blessing to be able to enjoy their company at this time of my life.
In retirement I continued to get involved in leisure activities that I have always enjoyed. Tai Chi, Hawaiian dancing, gardening and travelling. There's just more time doing them without constraints of work schedule.
I was passionate with my work, my profession. Now I am passionate about retirement !
Special Interests
- In February I attended an introductory class on scrapbooking. Scrapbooking was interesting but I realized it is not for me at this time anyway. Instead I learned the basics of card making. Since then I have made several birthday, Easter, and Christmas cards. I enjoy putting together shapes, colors and embellishments to create personalized cards. The recipients are usually surprised and impressed with my amateur creations. In this age of e-greeting cards, the real thing is still appreciated.
- In March I joined the Ridge Meadows Seniors Society. I found two classes that are of special interest to me: Tai Chi and Hawaiian Dancing. Members of both groups are physically active and lively.I may never be as graceful as this young Tai Chi'er but I am pleased I am still able to do the right moves !
- The Happy Hula Mamas
- Last summer I did some container gardening. Love to work the soil and watch my plants grow.
- In October I joined the legion of Mary in our parish. I also became a Reader at Mass on Thursdays. My three month probation ends this month and I will be confirmed as an active Legionary in the New Year.
- In April our family rented a beautiful vacation house by the sea in Lincoln City, Oregon. Breath taking scenery in early Spring. The family bonded. We had fun cooking, sightseeing and of course shopping!
- I traveled to China in May. This was my third visit to China. This time I joined the Silk Road tour. It was exotic and fascinating and also physically challenging! We traveled through the Gobi desert. I rode a camel at Mingsha Sand Dunes.
- We went on a Mediterranean Cruise in September. We sailed from Barcelona and disembarked in Venice. The cruise was another experience of a liftime.
In retirement I continued to get involved in leisure activities that I have always enjoyed. Tai Chi, Hawaiian dancing, gardening and travelling. There's just more time doing them without constraints of work schedule.
I was passionate with my work, my profession. Now I am passionate about retirement !





From Ed and Jean:
ReplyDeleteAte, very nicely done!..This is what retirement is all about..Enjoy life to the fullest!..We never stop learning and dreaming...Yours is fullfilled and we are very happy and very proud of you!..I am following your footstep very slowly and I am enjoying every minute of this experience..We are always thankful.. God is good to us all the time!..We have so many plans for 2012!..We will keep on dancing!..Happy New Year to everyone!...Ed
Essay written by: (impromptu and unedited)
ReplyDeleteDr. J. Riego de Dios, M. D.
30-12-2011
(To a retired dear friend Lolita Dumbrique)
RETIREMENT
A year of retirement is bliss of excitement
when done with fanfare of farewells and travels.
Yet a year after retirement, loneliness pervades
the seemingly solitude at home…..
With thoughts and memories of yesteryears.
The sounds of laughter of the peer groups in action,
The sharing of jokes stories and gossips while working;
And just the mere presence in the place of work is long gone.
The day becomes colourless; the face is a frowning caricature,
The atmosphere is empty of a once hurried life, to catch a bus,
Ride a taxi or a free ride from a friend; rain or shine to reach
The place of work called a second home.
Retirement recalls the struggles, failures, the excitements and accomplishments.
Retirement makes one think of why he/she is left behind
While friends/relatives have gone ahead to the final rest of earthly life.
Retirement can motivate others by the book of his/her life….
When plans to inscribe the wholesome of his/her life’ experiences;
The things that should have done but undone or
The things that should not have done but done.
The visions and dreams one has passed through and
Now passing on to the youth of life in order
That their path of retirement is better than mine or yours.
Retirement is to remind one that life is always moving forward; never backward.
Retirement is looking back only to learn where one fails along the way,
And to move forward with care, avoiding the potholes of life and misery.
At the end of the day, one can say he/she survived the day
To enjoy the comfort of one’s autumn’s life with dignity.
Retirement is like an empty bottle filled up with water
Beyond it, the water is running over it; cannot accept more than its capacity.
Age is the water that is being filled into the bottle.
Sometimes it is clean, sometimes muddy, and sometimes dirty.
When one grows old, one falters in the mind, in the body and in spirit.
Which one it is for me and you? It is through our book of life
That others may know the person we are, the person we became
And the person even after retirement,
The person destined to be remembered or forgotten
If retirement has not achieved his/her ends in life, we are forgotten.
If retirement has its colourful life and the book of life encompasses
The wholesome of his being alive on earth, in goodness, in harmony,
In forgiveness, in peace and love then the retirement
Will forever remind the youth of life that life is worth living.
Thanks to my dear friend Dr. J. Riego de Dios for sharing his thoughts on retirement and supporting my Blog. Blessings from Lolita.
ReplyDeleteHi Lolit,
ReplyDeleteI typed up a comment to your Bucket List entry but I see that it did not post. Not sure how this works?
Carol
OK I get it now. The page took me to my own blog and prompted me to sign in, copy the letter/word image then my comment was posted on your blog like this one.
ReplyDeleteCarol
From Pi:
ReplyDeleteYou too... Wishing you the best for the year 2012 with good health, peace, love, joy and happiness.
Thank you for inviting me to view your web log (Blog) in cyberspace.
.../Pi
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete