Graceful Aging
I came across an interesting article about the two “basic requirements” of graceful aging:
1. Accepting the things we cannot change
2. and having the courage to change the things that we can.
Actually these were “borrowed” from the “Serenity Prayer”.
I mentioned in an earlier Blog that since aging cannot be stopped, I might as well enjoy it! And truly I find that this attitude towards aging is helping me enjoy my current lifestyle.
One thing we absolutely cannot change is the fact that every day brings us closer to death. I have drawn on my spiritual resources to help me come to terms with this. My healthy lifestyle now includes “spiritual health”.
Experts say that along with accepting changes successful aging includes finding meaningful activities. I am now amongst happy retirees involved in activities that we enjoy. Traveling, hobbies, spiritual pursuits, new social groups, learning new things or recapturing time with family. Every day is leisure day for me!
Here is the result of a quiz I took on “Are you aging gracefully?”
“You are doing a wonderful job of aging with grace, balance, and hope. You are connected in a healthy way to friends and family, see your life as having good stuff both behind and ahead of you, and aren't fighting the natural progress of life into this next, beautiful stage. Keep walking forward, and keep up your inspired outlook.”
Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Quiz/Are-You-Aging-Gracefully.aspx#ixzz1npi3awVb
I believe that love, humor, and wisdom are ageless.
And here is a quote from Mark Twain:
“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
To those who ask about my secret for looking young and vibrant at 69:
Hang out with people older than you and never fall out of love!
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
1. Accepting the things we cannot change
2. and having the courage to change the things that we can.
Actually these were “borrowed” from the “Serenity Prayer”.
I mentioned in an earlier Blog that since aging cannot be stopped, I might as well enjoy it! And truly I find that this attitude towards aging is helping me enjoy my current lifestyle.
One thing we absolutely cannot change is the fact that every day brings us closer to death. I have drawn on my spiritual resources to help me come to terms with this. My healthy lifestyle now includes “spiritual health”.
Experts say that along with accepting changes successful aging includes finding meaningful activities. I am now amongst happy retirees involved in activities that we enjoy. Traveling, hobbies, spiritual pursuits, new social groups, learning new things or recapturing time with family. Every day is leisure day for me!
Here is the result of a quiz I took on “Are you aging gracefully?”
“You are doing a wonderful job of aging with grace, balance, and hope. You are connected in a healthy way to friends and family, see your life as having good stuff both behind and ahead of you, and aren't fighting the natural progress of life into this next, beautiful stage. Keep walking forward, and keep up your inspired outlook.”
Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Quiz/Are-You-Aging-Gracefully.aspx#ixzz1npi3awVb
I believe that love, humor, and wisdom are ageless.
And here is a quote from Mark Twain:
“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
To those who ask about my secret for looking young and vibrant at 69:
Hang out with people older than you and never fall out of love!
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr


I hope I am able to age as gracefully as you! love, your daughter! :)
ReplyDeleteLove you too Lissa.
DeleteFrom Pi:
ReplyDeleteLit, this is really true. Love your style. It gives me encouragement to follow your path... AGREED!...
Yes Pi, we are in this journey together. The Golden girls!
DeleteAte, how true!..I always,always include this(For Serenity)in my prayers..And here is my second best I would like to share with you.."Holy Death": "Lord,let me live each day as if were the last day of my life..Let my greatest desire be to die fearlessly any moment knowing that I am prepared to meet You..When I was born I had nothing and when I die I shall bring nothing with me.. Do not let my earthly desires and loves enslave my soul.Grant me the grace to look at You as my greatest treasure. Do not let me fear death with an empty fear but with wise and holy fear by living each day of my life pleasing You in thought, word,and action. Amen"..God bless..Your brother Ed
DeleteThanks Ed. Indeed, each day is a gift. It is a blessing to live each day to the fullest, as if it is our last. Thank you for sharing this prayer. Love and blessings. Ate.
DeleteThanks Lolit.
ReplyDeleteA good friend of mine asked me to be her maid of honour. So, dutifully, I planned her shower, made the wedding giveaways (handmade rosebud soaps) and made the wedding invitations. I remember her sister from HongKong made this comment about me: "Carol knows how to live her life and have fun". I hope to be able to continue doing this, living life to the fullest with my family and friends. I have also learned to keep positive people around me and you are definitely one of them.
Carol
The comment "Carol knows how to live her life and have fun" is right on target. Your positive vibes radiate in person and even through FB and emails !
DeleteFrom where I am I can see the hyacynths starting to bloom. Spring is just around the corner. Hoping to meet up with you in Spring or Summer.
Take care,
Lolit