The Autumn of my life

"Autumn of My Life" refers to the last portion of one's life. It is a metaphor which likens one's life to the season when the time for planting, growing, and flowering is over, when the temperatures begin to drop, and the days become shorter. The leaves on the trees drop, and the natural world edges toward dormancy. It is the time when one's death is closer than one's birth. (from Answers.com)

Considering that the life expectancy of females in Canada is eighty four (or longer :):):), I am now at the doorstep of the autumn of my life. Today is my 69th birthday. We have been hearing and reading about this "phenomenon" that 60 is the new 40. Hey, that makes me 49 ! And that is fine by me. I sure feel good at 49 !

Men and women in their 70s and 80s race in almost every marathon. Seniors teach and take classes, travel, and live fuller lives than ever before. Seniors are jogging and blogging.

I welcome the autumn years with grace and gratitude. I am grateful for all the blessings, the happy days. I accept the disappointments and lonely hours for they all played a part in my life experience. It is time to celebrate, to harvest the fruits of my endeavors.
This is a delightful time in my life. The kids are grown and I no longer have to hold down a job !

“Many people see this as a time for winding down and taking it easy; yet it can be the most meaningful, valuable, and cherished period of one's life — a time to reflect on life's experiences, a time to cultivate one's inner wisdom. It is an ideal time to pursue one's spiritual growth, and there is no better way of doing so than through contemplation, a form of spirituality found in all religious traditions.” (From the book Autumn Years by Robert and Elizabeth King)

Autumn is a beautiful season. The scenery is spectacular with leaves turning into magnificent colors of yellow, orange, and red. The air is cool and crisp. Excitement fills the hearts of young and old with thoughts of visiting apple orchards, pumpkin patch, cranberry festivals, hay rides, Thanksgiving dinner and Halloween fun.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free digital slideshow generated with Smilebox

From an autumn blogger:
“Autumn is a time to update the operating system of our life. There are old files and programs to be deleted, hard drives that need cleaning and random access memory to be added. It’s time to push the “refresh” button and invent one’s self anew.”

There! I have hit the “Refresh” button !

Comments

  1. From Pi:
    Love it!... Enjoyed watching your birthday blog. Bonding with family is very important at our age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jean:

    love it too! Happy birthday ate! may you have many many more blessed, healthy & happy more years to come from all of us in Mississauga! God bless u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! Autumn is my favourite season! Love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about the Fall that makes it my favourite season. I think it is the cool, crisp air and the changing colours of the leaves. Thanks for writing about the Autumn of your life. I will look forward to mine in a few years. We are truly blessed with family especially closeness. I am thankful everyday for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you are doing and how you do it. You are one talented and so versed in high tech, wish I could do it too.

    Autumn Leaves is the first piano piece that I heard Ching play and I got hooked! It has become our theme song and I get nostalgic everytime I hear it....esp. the version of Roger Williams. I love the colors of autumn and the harbinger of a holy event of Christmas but hate the weather that follows. Keep going and more power to you!

    Gasat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Roger Williams' version is so beautiful that is why I chose it for this Smilebox. Lovely theme song for you and Ching. You know, this is also a favourite song of my Tatay. From when I was a small girl, I remember Tatay singing this song. Let us linger and savour the Autumn of our lives.
      Tita

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Bucket List

If you don’t have a smile, I’ll give you one of mine.

The month of love and romance