Speaking of China
During the past eight years I have traveled three times to China.
My first trip was in 2004 with a group of Tai Chi’ers . Seventeen days Glimpses of China tour.
In 2010 I met with friends in Hongkong and Guangzhuo. It was a whirlwind visit and I wish to return someday.
Last year I went back for the third time and joined the physically challenging of all my trips to China : The Silk Road Tour.
I cannot remember when my curiosity and fascination with China started. I enjoyed each trip. The Tour Guides and drivers were all knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I learned more about their culture, marveled at the scenery and of course the shopping !
And speaking of shopping, I am very good now with negotiating prices. Even my Chinese friends would come to me and ask for help for negotiating prices with merchants. I don’t even speak Chinese!
With gentle persuasion and my own calculator in hand, I usually ask the merchants to give me a better price than Canada. I shop regularly at Chinese stores in Richmond and Vancouver. This helps me negotiate prices when shopping in China! I also know when to slowly walk away and show I am losing interest in the game. .
The manager at a Jade Factory was impressed with my bargaining skills. He was shaking his head and said “This lady is very good, very good”. That was the best performance appraisal I received while shopping in China. I did well too in two silk factories that we visited. Bargaining in China can be fun and a social experience.
I am not too crazy about food in some places in China but I never starved ! Rice and noodles, especially noodles are in abundance !
It is the Year of the Dragon. Today we were at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond to join the festivities and buy favourite Chinese foods like Sio pao, Sesame seed balls, and Coconut buns.
I also visited Van Cheong Fine Tea. They have Chinese New Year specials on Jasmine Water Blossoms, Rose Buds, and Pu Erh. I got further discount because I paid cash for my purchases.
Gung Hay Fat Choy ! or Kung Hei Fat Choi !
My first trip was in 2004 with a group of Tai Chi’ers . Seventeen days Glimpses of China tour.
In 2010 I met with friends in Hongkong and Guangzhuo. It was a whirlwind visit and I wish to return someday.
Last year I went back for the third time and joined the physically challenging of all my trips to China : The Silk Road Tour.
I cannot remember when my curiosity and fascination with China started. I enjoyed each trip. The Tour Guides and drivers were all knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I learned more about their culture, marveled at the scenery and of course the shopping !
And speaking of shopping, I am very good now with negotiating prices. Even my Chinese friends would come to me and ask for help for negotiating prices with merchants. I don’t even speak Chinese!
With gentle persuasion and my own calculator in hand, I usually ask the merchants to give me a better price than Canada. I shop regularly at Chinese stores in Richmond and Vancouver. This helps me negotiate prices when shopping in China! I also know when to slowly walk away and show I am losing interest in the game. .
The manager at a Jade Factory was impressed with my bargaining skills. He was shaking his head and said “This lady is very good, very good”. That was the best performance appraisal I received while shopping in China. I did well too in two silk factories that we visited. Bargaining in China can be fun and a social experience.
I am not too crazy about food in some places in China but I never starved ! Rice and noodles, especially noodles are in abundance !
It is the Year of the Dragon. Today we were at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond to join the festivities and buy favourite Chinese foods like Sio pao, Sesame seed balls, and Coconut buns.
I also visited Van Cheong Fine Tea. They have Chinese New Year specials on Jasmine Water Blossoms, Rose Buds, and Pu Erh. I got further discount because I paid cash for my purchases.
Gung Hay Fat Choy ! or Kung Hei Fat Choi !












From Gasat:
ReplyDeleteKung Hei fat choy to you too.
This is a country I would like to vist one day. I can see why you are fascinated with China.I would be, too. Thanks for sharing. Love your pictures.
ReplyDelete