Can dancing make you smarter?


My friend Ampy shared an article by Richard Powers: Use it or Lose it – Dancing makes you smarter.

One interesting information I learned from this article is that dancing may help reduce risk of dementia
There are many activities to help us become physically and mentally fit as we age. And dancing provides both opportunities for physical and mental fitness !

Dancing is a high intensity aerobic activity and it brings many positive health benefits. But most people look at it only as a physical exercise. It's more than that. Recent studies showed that it's also a great mind exercise.

It's all about mind workout. Because dancing requires a significant amount of brain activity, it's a perfect form of brain workout. This is especially important for senior citizens and will help them maintain the focus and clarity, and ward off certain mental diseases.

I love to dance. The lack of a dancing partner did not stop me from pursuing a physical activity that I enjoy…dancing.
So I joined dance classes/groups that do not require for me to have a dance partner. I have taken Belly dancing, Latin Line Dancing and now I am a regular participant in a Hawaiian dance class.

“Just think about how many aspects of your brain are used in order for you to dance - memory, reaction time, motion, focus, music, communication, emotions, and so on. The whole brain is in it. You have to remember all the steps and you have some quick decision making to do.”

Line Dancing is not just for the young. There are now many line dancing classes for seniors!





The Happy Hula Mamas are enjoying our practice sessions and performances. To us it is all about getting fit and having fun !

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This free digital slideshow customized with Smilebox






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Bucket List

If you don’t have a smile, I’ll give you one of mine.

The month of love and romance