A sprinkle of Chives for flavor and good health!
Yesterday a friend gave me a two gallon pot of Chives.
The spring garden takes on a colorful attractive appearance when the chives (Allium schoenoprasum) bloom in May and June. The pretty lavender-pink globular flower heads of chives not only beautify the garden, but they can also be used as a garnish for salad dishes.
Click picture to enlarge.
Health Benefits of Chive.
Here is a website that is worth visiting.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/407900-health-benefits-of-chives/
I harvested some chives this morning. It is amazing how much you can get from a two gallon pot.

Click picture to enlarge.
Chives are widely used in Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese Cooking. My daughter's Homestay Korean teacher introduced us to Korean Pancakes or Pa-Jeon. She said this is a very popular dish in Korea. On rainy days they usually enjoy making this warm tasty pancakes for meals or snacks. It is a great recipe to use up left over fresh vegetables. You can also add seafood of your choice like oyster, scallops and shrimps. I happen to have some shrimps today so I made Pa-Jeon with chives and shrimps.
I used the recipe found in the Korean Pancake Mix which I bought from T & T Supermarket.

Click picture to enlarge.

click picture to enlarge.

Click picture to enlarge.
This is how my chive plant look after I harvested a big handful this morning.

Click picture to enlarge.
Chives are also beneficial to rose bushes, since they emit an odor which discourages aphids.
There are enough bulbs in this gallon pot. I am going to divide this plant into 3 container pots and put them near my roses.
The spring garden takes on a colorful attractive appearance when the chives (Allium schoenoprasum) bloom in May and June. The pretty lavender-pink globular flower heads of chives not only beautify the garden, but they can also be used as a garnish for salad dishes.

Click picture to enlarge.
Health Benefits of Chive.
Here is a website that is worth visiting.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/407900-health-benefits-of-chives/
I harvested some chives this morning. It is amazing how much you can get from a two gallon pot.

Click picture to enlarge.
Chives are widely used in Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese Cooking. My daughter's Homestay Korean teacher introduced us to Korean Pancakes or Pa-Jeon. She said this is a very popular dish in Korea. On rainy days they usually enjoy making this warm tasty pancakes for meals or snacks. It is a great recipe to use up left over fresh vegetables. You can also add seafood of your choice like oyster, scallops and shrimps. I happen to have some shrimps today so I made Pa-Jeon with chives and shrimps.
I used the recipe found in the Korean Pancake Mix which I bought from T & T Supermarket.

Click picture to enlarge.
click picture to enlarge.
Click picture to enlarge.
This is how my chive plant look after I harvested a big handful this morning.
Click picture to enlarge.
Chives are also beneficial to rose bushes, since they emit an odor which discourages aphids.
There are enough bulbs in this gallon pot. I am going to divide this plant into 3 container pots and put them near my roses.
So beautiful! Great post!
ReplyDelete